"Our guarantee to you: Shaklee products always work, are always safe, and are always green." ~ Product Guide 2012

Monday, March 1, 2010

HYPOGLYCEMIA

Staying up way past midnight is not new to me. Some days I am a morning person, and other days I am an “owl.” Days are so short, and there is so much to do. I finally dosed off way past midnight. Yet, shortly after, I bolted out of my bed and looked at the clock. It’s 3:25 A.M. I keep hearing the same phrase being repeated over and over again. I heard it in my dream and I keep hearing it now. Later, I would marvel how it was possible (I am a deep sleeper, still…), and now I thank God for this unexplainable connection between our dreams and reality.

It happened again: HYPOGLYCEMIA. The concept, and the ordeal defined by the term unfortunately are too familiar to me and my mom who is suffering from hypoglycemic diabetes (so called brittle diabetes) for more than twenty two years now. I even have bought a very highly scientific book by that name.

“I do not know what is happening, I do not know what is happening… I do not know…”
Fortunately, this morning I do know what is happening. I feel fortunate, because mom does not always say things upon the onset of hypoglycemia. At times it is a quiet departure from this place and time. Other times, seemingly unprovoked anger precedes the ordeal.

I make a mad dash to the fridge, and with a packet of orange juice in my hands return to mom’s room. Fortunately, this time mom does recognize me and is responsive to my offer. She looks disoriented and weak, her hands are clammy, and she breaks out into a soaking cold sweat – these are the few classic symptoms of the hypoglycemic attack. The meter is showing 45. It rarely gets so low. A spoonful of sugar would not hurt too.

When this had happened for the first time, I experienced such severe sudden panic and fear that one emergency staff member turned toward me with a disapproving thrown on her face and said: “why are you crying? She’ll be alright.” Obviously, the woman had had such scene play out in front of her many times while on her daily rounds. Shortly after that incident of hypoglycemic attack it happened again in our home. The second time the paramedics where stern and direct too: “you cannot keep calling ambulance every time this happens.” I got the message, and I will never forget it.

While in the emergency room over night, the staff gave my mom some orange juice and a turkey sandwich. A nurse was very kind to explain to me that this would be the appropriate necessary first aid if this will happen again. Yes, doctors take good care of my mom, and yes, she watches what she eats and takes insulin shots as prescribed. Unfortunately, diabetes is very sneaky illness, and hypoglycemia does happen once in a while. My observation lead me to believe that older people start loosing their good appetite and start eating much less than they supposed to in relation to the insulin doses prescribed. That is a mental note to me.

I have had friends who already lost their parents to diabetes. From their stories I learned that not everyone knows what to do in similar situations. The incidents are truly frightening. It might appear as if a person is dying right in front of your eyes. Without sugar nourishing one’s brain it perhaps might be the final outcome at times when no help is available. To prevent further damage to the brain and to the entire body (what a magnificent system! If only we knew how to maintain it starting at a young age…), one has to act fast.

The reason I am writing about this very personal ordeal in this public journal is to encourage everyone to keep an eye on their relatives and friends who suffer from this illness, especially if they are of respectable age. In my case it was helpful to learn to quickly recognize the signs of hypoglycemic attack, and always, always carry a candy (no sugar free, please) in my pocket, or a packet of orange juice while traveling.

This is one morning that made me really glad that I have no place to rush to. But, boy, do I feel “beat up,” due to lack of sleep. I need enough sleep to be on my best behavior in order to get through each day.

Fortunately for me, I have my SHAKLEE Cinch Energy Tea. Its potent effect will keep me alert, energetic, and positive. I feel that this tea is much gentler on my stomach than a cup of coffee. And it will do the trick of keeping me on my feet all day. I am looking forward to the SHAKLEE opportunity meeting tonight. It is being organized by a constellation of area leaders who generously share their positive energy, sunny attitude and true wisdom of running SHAKLEE business, business that anyone with the right mindset can succeed in. I wonder, if any of my acquaintances and friends will show up, if just out of curiosity to check why “I went bonkers” by joining SHAKLEE as an independent distributor.

Font sizeDisclaimer: This is my personal story. I published it in my public journal with an intention to encourage those who have some similar experience to seek knowledge from their medical professionals. Doctors can provide precise instructions for dealing with hypoglycemic attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books and Articles

  • Foods that Combat Cancer. The Nutritional Way to Wellness, by Maggie Greenwood-Robinson, Ph.D.
  • Midlife Health. A Woman's Practical Guide to Feeling Good, by Ada P. Kahn & Linda Hughey Holt, M.D.
  • Nutrition Almanac. Better Life Through Better Nutrition, Nutrition Search, Inc. John D. Kirschmann, Director
  • Solved: The Riddle of Osteoporosis, by Stephen E. Langer, M.D. and James F. Scheer
  • Understanding Nutrition, by Whitney, Hamilton, Rolfes

About Me

My photo
http://www.vervelink.net http://vervelink.myshaklee.com

Followers

Total Pageviews